2011-07-10

I've come so far, yet so far to go.

I have been knitting for a while. In just a few short years I will be able to say that I have been knitting for half of my life. And for someone who didn't learn from their parents when they were younger that is a pretty big accomplishment in my book. Truely though I've only been really "into" knitting in maybe the last four years or so.

Something that I am still terrible at though? Garter stitch.

I know I said a few posts back that I didn't find it comforting instead I found it boring. However, it may very well might be that I am not good at it. I ended up ripping out the first band twice and then googled how to do a garter stitch (I find lace charts not intimidating. First stitch you learn whilst knitting? Hard.)

My first random pull for the Year of projects was the color colision socks in Paca-peds tye-dye. It is going alright but it has two things I'm not very good at, garter stitch and short rows (and short-rows in garter stitch). After all that is said though. I have a sock. Just one for now. The other is barely even a square big. Should get going on that.

I will admit though I am rather tempted to cast on another project. I have never been a serial project knitter anyways. What is stopping me though is the fact I have two sock WIP that I was planning on finishing before this whole thing started! (oops)

12 comments:

Sandy said...

Love the colors of your sock. Do you stand on your head when knitting? lol, had to ask cause finding garter stitch difficult but being able to read lace charts, well...let's face it..that's backward, so I'm thinking you must be standing on your head. lol We need to sit beside each other. I love garter, and you can teach me chart knitting.

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty sock! I think it's worth all the short row and garter stitch angst. I guess we all have our achilles heels (no pun intended with the sock post....)

Wool Diaries said...

Your sock is stunning! The colours are just up my alley. A little bit of garter stitch never hurt anyone!

Lyndsey said...

Your first sock looks great. It was worth all the ripping out and restarting. Love the colour of the yarn too.x

Kim said...

Lovely colors and like Sandy, as I read your post I found myself thinking, "really? she can't do garter stitch but can do lace work?" How funny! Seriously, the sock is very pretty, and deserves a mate!
*smiles*

Shateen said...

WAY TO GO GIRL! Love the colors of that sock! And I like the little bowl that you have your yarn in, how nifty! hope TdF is going well! Just wondering if you sell your spun yarn?

Anonymous said...

Garter stitch can be a joy and a pain, I love it when it's even when it's notvI hate it. Daft as it sounds I often find I do a fair bit of frogging and finding skipped stitches.
The socks look great, keep knitting!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

If I didn't force myself to finish one project before starting another, nothing would ever get done1

Cute sock!

Evelyn said...

It's funny reading your blog post because garter stitch for me is what I call mindless knitting. But sometimes, even the seemingly simplest things can cause the most tension! Happy knitting.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Your sock looks super, love the stripes

Anonymous said...

I like your sock. the colors are great. When i find a stitch challenging, I find a pattern that features that stitch heavily so that i practice it enough to get comfortable with it

Sara said...

Love the colors! Watch out or the dreaded one sock monster will visit you!