2011-03-09

This post is brought to you by...

The beautiful Avan Jogia



His PSA is for a campaign by a group of men that call themselves "Straight But Not Narrow" Now. I appreciate the message I really do I think it is great that allies are reaching out and spreading the word, especially as an ally to the cause. Allies have an important place in the world as way to reach out to communities that might not be aware or open to those issues, which is clearly what this PSA is trying to do.

However, I'm not sure about the packaging. The entire notion of "real men" would support it and "man up" is very gender normative. It could be that because they are trying to reach out to those communities that are masculine and often have their manliness tied to things that are traditionally manly like height and ability to shotgun a beer, That they are being clever and using the language of the person to make it more understandable to them.

Pop stars like Katy Perry, Ke$ha (I can't believe i just put a dollarsign in that) have come under fire for talking about manliness in their songs. Katy wrote a scathing song about an ex-boyfriend called UR so Gay, and Kesha has told men before that they need to "grow a pair" in song. And even though this message is positive unlike the other two I feel like it falls under the same gender normative stere0 type trap that these popstars do.

I don't really know where I am going with this, I just know that when I started out with this blog it wasn't supposed to be a crafting only blog.

No comments: